Monday, May 14, 2012

My Grandfather, my hero




My hero, my grandfather, Dr. Frederick Watts Forman passed on Friday, May 11th, 2012 at the age of 91.

He was a pilot in the Navy and was a part of  the "Black Cats" in WWII, these men flew sea planes and performed covert missions at night time. They flew in pure darkness over the South Pacific. He is shown in the top left photo, and in his enlistment photo, and the bottom picture second from the left on the bottom row.

In WWII his plane was shot down and my grandfather and his co-pilot survived floating in a life raft for 7 days. They were the only survivors of his 14 men crew.

He is truly a hero, and I was beyond blessed to have him in my life for 26 years. Not only was he a war hero and won many distinguished awards, but he was hands down the perfect example of a man. Everyone should be so lucky to have a man like this in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment